Anyone can accidentally delete a file from the computer’s hard drive. Fortunately, in such a situation it is possible to recover it. Most of the deleted files are no longer “visible” in the system, but they still remain on the disk. You only need to read such a record to be able to very conveniently recover a specific file and be able to continue using it. Here’s how to recover deleted files. We present both system methods to do this and programs that can help you recover already deleted data.
Restoring permanently deleted files from disk is possible in many cases, but you should be aware that not every file can be restored. It is worth remembering and taking it into account. In the case of long-deleted files, it may turn out that they are already overwritten and cannot be recovered. In such a situation, even having paid programs will not be able to help, and your files will be unavailable forever.
In this easy to understand tutorial, I will walk you through specific and user-friendly steps to undelete files quickly. I’ll also share with you what happens when files get deleted.
How to Retrieve Deleted Files on PC
Backup is essential for data recovery for Windows.
- If you have a backup, please recover deleted data there.
- However, if you don’t have any backups, you can check Windows Recycle Bin to see whether the important files you need can be found there.
Recover Deleted Files from Recycle Bin
- Right-click the Recycle Bin on your desktop.
- Select Open from the context menu.
- Check and select files to recover.
- Right-click the files you want to recover.
- Choose Restore from the context menu to recover selected files. You can also drag the files directly out of the Recycle Bin.
How to recover permanently deleted files on PC? Please choose free and high-quality data recovery software like MiniTool Power Data Recovery to help you recover deleted files free.
Recover with Third-party Software
How can I get my files back after I accidentally deleted them? Continue reading below. The steps to successfully recover deleted files in Windows 10, Windows 7, and other operating systems are basically the same.
How to undelete important files with Power Data Recovery?
- Download MiniTool Power Data Recovery and install it to a drive that does not contain the files you want to recover.
- Run the software. It supports all common file types like photos and videos.
Steps to recover deleted files after emptying Recycle Bin:
- Select This PC from the left sidebar.
- Select the partition that contains the files you’ve deleted. You can choose the file type you need by clicking Settings.
- Click Scan and wait for it to finish.
- Browse the scan results and select the files you want.
- Click Save and set a storage location.
- Click OK to confirm and wait until the data recovery is completed.
After accomplishing the steps above, you can complete the process of recovering lost and permanently deleted files. It also introduces the way to recover data deleted from cloud storage services like OneDrive.
That’s how to retrieve deleted files on PC when you have a Windows OS.
Restore Deleted Files Mac
If you have a Mac OS and want to do data recovery on Mac, you can use Time Machine. But you have a better option: using the file recovery program Stellar Data Recovery.
Download Stellar Data Recovery, then install and launch it to start hard drive recovery.
- First, choose the file types that you want. To do this, you can turn on Recover Everything or manually select the file type.
- Select the drive containing the deleted Mac files.
- Click on the Scan button at the bottom right.
- Wait for the scan to be completed.
- Browse the data found and select the files you need. You can retrieve documents, recover photos, and other types of data.
- Click on the Recover button and choose the file path.
- Click on the Save button to confirm and wait for the file recovery on Mac to be completed.
Recover Your Deleted Files in Other Cases
It’s a good thing to know that aside from retrieving deleted files on your PC, you can also recover files from:
- External disks
- Flash disks
- Memory cards
- Android devices
How to Recover Files Deleted from Other Devices
Recover data from external hard drives.
To recover deleted data from external storage, you only need to add one step at the beginning: connect the device to your PC and make sure your computer detects it.
Follow the simple steps below to start recovering files from a flash drive:
- Connect your USB to the PC.
- Make sure the USB drive appears on your computer.
- Open the recovery software and use it to restore files that were deleted/lost from your flash drive.
Restore files from memory cards.
How to recover lost files from SD card:
- Insert the SD card into a card reader.
- Connect the card reader to your PC.
- Use the software to scan it for deleted data.
Restore deleted files Android.
Two choices to recover a deleted file on Android.
- Choice 1: recover Android data with MiniTool Power Data Recovery.
- Choice 2: restore deleted files from Android device with MiniTool Mobile Recovery for Android.
Recover files after a virus attack.
Power Data Recovery can not only help you restore files deleted permanently, but also get back files deleted by virus attack.
Please note: if your PC is unable to boot after a virus attack, please resort to the bootable edition.
How to fix when PC doesn’t boot after BIOS update?
Recover files from deleted partition.
If a partition is deleted or lost, scan the whole disk to find the missing files. To do this, select Hard Disk Drive and follow the steps mentioned above to find files and folders.
What Happens When a File Is Deleted or Lost
When you delete files permanently, they will not disappear from your device; you just lose entries to them. The situation is the same when a file system is damaged.
What happens when you delete a file on a Windows PC?
The file content itself won’t be cleared. When you delete a file in Windows Explorer, Windows will move it to Recycle Bin and mark it as deleted. Even if it’s cleared from the Recycle Bin, the actual data remains on the PC.
That’s why you can recover deleted file or folder with the help of file recovery software.
Even if you’re a beginner, you can learn how to retrieve deleted files on PC and other devices with the right data recovery software.
In this article, we’ve shared several easy and effective recovery methods to help you quickly recover deleted files on your PC or another device.
Category: Data Recovery Services Profile: MiniTool Solution Ltd. is a software development company based in Canada. As a dedicated software development company, MiniTool Solution Ltd. provides customers with complete business software solutions in the data recovery and partition management industry.